Australian Birds: the Scarlet Robin (Petroica boodang)

Another of my challenges was this tiny robin. I spend some debating exactly what kind of red-breasted robin he was, but I finally went with Petroica boodang. If it's one of the others, please let me know. This little guy was extremely hard to photograph.

I first saw him sitting on my back fence. He kept swooping off it, and then coming back to perch. I got a pretty good look at him, and he didn't seem to mind me watching him.


He even turned his head so we could see that distinctive white crown above his brow.
 

A week later, he moved to the cherry or plum tree out back. This time I got to take pictures of his front view. I have never seen a little bird so red!


This time, he wasn't so sure about the camera. Camera's are noisy. This time, he took a good look at me.


He kept flying down to the grass, probably in pursuit of a slater or millipede. This is one shot of him taking off from the branch. It's the only clear shot I got.


He moved around the tree a bit...


...but finally settled in the crook of some very thin branches. I let him be.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go