Australian Insects - Small Cicadas

Every Australian summer, you hear them - singing in the trees. Sometimes, on a fine hot day, you'll walk through the shade of a gumtree grove and be showered in a spray of fine droplets. Looking up, you won't see a single cloud - you have just been peed on by the very songsters chirping all around, and above you. I am hoping to get a picture of one of the bigger ones, but this little fellow sang most enticingly in the back yard and I had to hunt him down.

I finally found him on a tall branch of flotinnia.


But he wasn't very cooperative and kept shifting around the branch.


Every time, I moved, he moved, too.


Finally flying to another branch...


... and shifting around on that, until flying from sight.


Disappointed, I was about to head inside, when I heard another one, and found it sitting in a plum tree.


It was much more cooperative.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go