Australian Birds: Juvenile Crimson Rosella (Platycercus elegans)

I went through a couple of months where the main birds that visited my backyard were crimson rosellas. This coincided with the trees fruiting, so I probably shouldn't be surprised. This pair hadn't yet exchanged their green 'baby' plumage for the more colourful red and blue of an adult, and probably wouldn't for another two years. I hope they stick around so I can see that. I had quite a hard time identifying them because of it. As you can see, the green is very handy for camouflaging them against the grass.

The first shot caught them unawares


and caused them a bit of concern, 


but they decided food was more important.


Definitely more important.


They kept eating, but they kept a very good eye on the camera. I stayed just inside my back door, and they tolerated me photographing them.


When they both bobbed down to collect more to eat, they became very hard to see.


They took one more very assessing look, and then they decided they'd had enough and flew away.


They've been back since, I'm glad to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go