Formatting for CreateSpace—Part 3: Finishing Touches


Once my files have been reviewed, I receive an email letting me know their ready. To get that title out onto the market I take the following steps:
  • I head on over to CreateSpace and log in, select the title whose files are ready and click on it.
  • This takes me to the Project Homepage for that title. Under the Review column, I click on ‘Proof Your Book’, which usually has a note under it telling me ‘Action Required’.
  • This takes me to the ‘Proof Your Book’ page. I usually select the ‘View a Digital Proof’ option. This allows me access to a digital proofer as well as the ability to download a PDF proof, which I can print and go through with a pen, if I wish. I usually just click on ‘Launch Digital Proofer’, although there is also the possibility of ordering a printed proof.
  • After I click on the ‘Launch Digital Proofer’ button, I am taken to a digital proof of the book. By clicking on the ‘Get Started’ button, in the pop-up box that appears after the proof is loaded, I am able to view the cover, and go through the interior content again, to make sure it really is exactly how I want it to be. I always dread this part of the check, because if I find something I know I’ll have to fix it and re-upload the files and wait for them to be ready, but it’s worth it. My readers pay more for a print copy. I try to make it the best quality I can.
  • Once I’m happy with the proof, I click on the ‘Exit Digital Proofer’ button, and am taken back to the ‘Proof Your Book’ page. At this point I can click on the ‘Approve’ button in the ‘Approve Proof’ box.
  • This gives me a pop-up that lets me confirm the approval, by clicking on the ‘Approve’ button inside the pop-up. If I have any doubts, I can still cancel the process at this point.
  • Clicking on the ‘Approve’ button gives me a second pop-up that gives me a publishing time-frame for all my distribution channels and a chance to give feedback on the process. I can close this box by clicking on the ‘Close Window’ button.
  • This returns me to the ‘Review Proof’ page, where I have the option of continuing to Sales Channels or returning to Project Home. At this point, I can also select the ‘Return to Member Dashboard’ option and start another project, or continue working on one of the others. I can also click on an option to visit my book’s CreateSpace page, and I often do this, so I can click on the Facebook ‘Like’ button there—mostly because I really do like the fact the book has reached a saleable stage.
So, there you have it. It’s not scary or difficult to use, but it can be fiddly. If you have no other print option out there, I recommend it. Actually, I pretty much recommend it, even if you do have other print options, but that's just my belief in maximising the outlets for my work. Happy publishing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go