Wednesday's Verse - The Protector's Wish

This week’s verse moves from  a speculative verse about outliving our children to a a fantasy verse about one man protecting those we love. It is taken from 366 Days of Poetry, a collection of mixed-genre poetry released in 2016.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Protector's Wish



If you love me—then leave me.


Save the others; save yourself,

for I am beyond redemption.

I am well beyond your help.

I know you are beside me,

but my blood it stains the snow,

and you have no way to staunch it,

no way to stop the flow,

so, if you love me, then please leave me.

Leave my sword, my dagger and bow,

and I will give you time to flee,

and to save the others I love so,

for while you cannot save me,

and I cannot save myself,

I can help you get away,

to reach shelter, and reach help.

Tie the wound off tightly, love,

and take our children and yourself,

and get you as far and fast from here,

as you can with all my help,

and I will, when it is over,

look down on you and ours,

and I will guard you from above,

through all your living hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the first two poetry collections at the links below - although there are plans to reissue them with more genre-appropriate covers in the future. The third collection will be released later in the year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go