Wednesday's Verse - Returned from Star Battle

This week’s verse moves from a science fiction verse about a world being abandoned, to a science fiction poem about a hero returned from a distant war. It is taken from 366 Days of Poetry, a collection of mixed-genre poetry released in 2016.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returned from Star Battle


Duty’s done, the stars are won, and I return,

but I return alone

bearing heavy news for home.

Many went, returned, but one.



To celebrate a victory is hard,

when those who won it for

the rest remain among the stars,

and I, I feel will laugh no more.



Gone are the bright lights from our world.

Gone to where the flags are furled

long after danger is dealt with and gone,

they’re gone to where dead heroes roam.



So I celebrate and, for you, I’ll smile.

That shine within my eyes

is tears, of joy and grief, for while

you remember them hale and whole,



I know the ways in which they fell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the first two poetry collections at the links below - although there are plans to reissue them with more genre-appropriate covers in the future. The third collection will be released later in the year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go