Wednesday's Verse - Hopes for the New Year

This week’s verse moves from a Christmas acrostic about Santa's Homecoming to a cautionary poem about hopes for the New Year. It is taken from Another 365 Days of Poetry, a collection of mixed-genre poetry released in 2019.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hopes for the New Year


Happy New Year!

My head is exploding.

I drank all the punch and my mind is eroding,

or is it that I had red wine and champers,

to go with a dinner that came from a hamper

as we picnicked away up on the hill

watching the fireworks from the sky earthward spill

Or maybe it was the beer and the pasties

I ate for my lunch while I got ready to party

for New Year’s Eve is bigger than Christmas

as we stay up ‘til midnight and to hell with the aftermath!

Happy New Year

My head is exploding

My hopes riding high, drowning out my forboding

that last year was hard, the year before was much harder,

and, in both of those years, I was a great hopeful starter.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the first two poetry collections at the links below - although there are plans to reissue them with more genre-appropriate covers in the future. The third collection will be released later in the year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go