Words from Mack 6 - Mack 'n' Me: Lizardine Liaison

 Writing has been slowly continuing on Mack 6 - which now has a title: Mack 'n' Me: Lizardine Liaison. We're still waiting on the cover, but the words are almost done. Here are some from the last writing session:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

“Focus!” Mack shouted, before I tried to track Eshvet’s progress…but I’d already caught sight of the movement on the stairs, the remaining two Grey Men hesitating before coming onto the landing.

It didn’t matter.

I hit the bottom of the stairs and was firing, even as the second man fell. Eshvet gave a startled hiss and I heard a sudden heavy thump on the stairs.

Mack groaned, and I caught a vague sense of amusement from Mika’s mind. The lizardine prince was definitely grateful Delight had replaced my usual array of weaponry with stunners. If she hadn’t…

What exactly is a lizardine threimdal? I wondered, bouncing over the fallen forms of the Grey Men…and what exactly did I need to do next?

I’d taken out all the Exarch mercenaries in the tower. I trotted down to the bottom of the tower, taking a moment to work my way through the lower floor to make sure.

Mack and Delight’s intel was good, but that didn’t mean it was perfect. I slid up to the door leading out of the tower’s reception area, sidling through and into the administration area. To my disappointment it was empty.

ALL the offices were empty…

The stim pack thrummed through my blood and I darted up the stairs to the next floor, going through it like a whirlwind.

Nothing!

And the next was just as empty.

I reached the landing, noting the Grey Men still down and out, and tripping over the invisible form of Eshvet. It occurred to me that the lizardine wasn’t going to be very happy when he woke up, and I snickered.

He could just…

“Incoming!” Delight’s warning flashed through the implant, and I caught the distant buzz of a flitter. “The roof, Cutter!”

I came out of the fourth floor and raced up the stairs, leaping over the fallen as I went. The stairs rattled under my feet, alerting the mercenaries approaching the array. It was just my luck they preferred to shoot first and ask questions later.

And that was only if there was anything left to ask questions of. I hit the floor and twisted to one side, a line of solids stitching holes in the plating behind me. Where were the grenades when you needed them?

I fetched up against the retaining wall around the tower’s edge and slammed my good hand into the tower top, pushing myself onto my feet and into a flip in the hope of avoiding their aim.

Whatever Odyssey’s chem kids had put into this pack, it gave me more strength and flexibility than I had on my own. Flechettes sliced the air under me, and then I dropped.

Over the other side of the railing.

Off the tower.

 Four storeys down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go