Favourite Sayings, Quotes and Scenes

"Nika, stop talking or I'll put you back in the trunk."

47 (played by Timothy Oliphant), Hitman, 2007

I love this line, or rather, I love the interaction between the two characters that leads up to it, and the interaction that occurs directly after it. If you watch the scene from where 47 says "I brought you breakfast" to Nika, to where he closes his eyes in an attempt to find sleep in the car, you will see some interesting character interaction.

Take note of the way the old men observe 47 and Nika, and then the exchange of glances between 47 and the old men. It says a lot about their view of women, and their understanding of the presumed relationship between the hitman and Belacof's ex-mistress.

How do you put that unspoken dialogue in a book without it becoming a drag? It's a writer's challenge, don't you think?

My favourite interchange occurs just after 47 has threatened to put Nika in the trunk. Watch the play of emotion on their faces. There is so much said by a raised eyebrow, a glance, a sideward shift of the eyes, the tightening of muscles around a mouth, the very smallest of smiles, that I wonder how to put it all in writing.

This scene makes me smile and feel sad and smile again, all while keeping the tension in a very tightly paced movie.

I want to do this with words, but then, doesn't everyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go