Finding my Feet Part 8— Goals for December, December Progress Report 1, and a Dilemma


So, November went okay, and I learned a lot about my work habits and lifestyle. I’m not sure I want to set such stringent goals for December. One of the things I noticed in November is that having such well-defined goals was also a straight-jacket when I had a new idea that needed some attention. On the other hand, I believe I need to set firm goals so that I am working towards completing projects and maintain at least a little discipline in my writing.
One of the other things I noticed is that these goals didn’t give me much flexibility. If, for instance, I accepted a contract for work, or had a submission accepted, I wouldn’t have been able to concentrate on it and maintain my progress in any of my goals. That’s probably not good business.
I think what I want to do is set a main project to work on, and nominate secondaries that can be moved in and out until they become the main project. That way, if I am offered a contract, or have edits, I can make that the main project, and switch the uncontracted main project to secondary status until the contract is complete.
So, for December my main goals and progress towards those goals is as follows (along with the dilemma of self-publishing vs. traditional publishing brought on by Writing Head 3):

Writing Me:

1.      Project1: The first chapter on this is complete, and edited. I need to complete the character classes and races, and move onto the skill checks and equipment. I believe completing this much by the 30th is possible. It may even be possible to complete the Critters section. Expected completed length is around 50,000 words. So far I have 25,000 words complete, but a goodly portion are in the rough and may be moved to the subsidiary projects that are revealing themselves as a result of the project focus. These subsidiary projects will form the secondary focus. It is so nice to be writing what I want to write again J.
Progress: Character class introduction and the first two classes are complete. I have added 2,000 words in the last three days, done a fair amount of research, and sketched out a new subsidiary project, which I shall dub Project3.

Writing Head 2

1.      Novella1: Reach 30, 000 wds. This currently stands at 18,000 words.
Progress: In the last 3 days, nil progress, but this book plays second fiddle to Project1.

Writing Head 3

1.      Novella1A: Complete and edit. This still stands around 5,000 words from completion.
Progress: In the last 3 days, nil progress, but this book plays third fiddle to the other two.
Dilemma: This novella has come at a time that forces me to consider the whole self-e-publishing vs. traditional-publishing debate from a writer-as-business stand-point. You see, I have had an expression of interest from a publisher for this one – and it was the publisher I was aiming for, no less.
So now I have questions. Am I crazy if I don’t follow this up and go with the publisher, while seeking an agent for this pen name—the traditional route? Am I crazy to go with the publisher when I know there are authors with that publisher who are taking the self-publishing route, and aren’t happy enough to remain with the publisher with their newer books?
Is the kudos of being published with an established, traditional publisher worth possible contractual disadvantages later on? Is it worth the possibility of never having my rights released back to me and the e-book royalties being well below 45%?
Can someone with no name expect to earn out the equivalent of a $15,000-$20,000 advance by e-publishing? Can they expect to be as successful as if they’d taken the traditional path to start with before going independent?
Should I go traditional until established and then follow the example of many successful traditionally published authors who have since gone independent? (Assuming that path is even an option now the publishers are aware of the power of the e-market.)
Should I self-publish, with the understanding that this is the slush-pile of the future, let the readers cast their votes and the publishers decide, possibly taking a traditional contract later on if I do well enough to attract an offer?
Should I hold off and see how things go over the next two years, or just take the independent-publishing plunge and see how it all works out? And, if I do that, what do I lose by doing so?
With so many questions, so many options, and no real right or wrong answer, do I dare ask the rest of you what you would do? It's a dilemma, and I've read widely in an attempt to answer it, but the question remains open. Fortunately, I have a little more time to ponder it. This decision is one I don't think I should rush, just as I'm not rushing the story to completion. If you were a writer aiming at making a living from your work, what would you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go