Goals, Tiers and Wishlists – My how things change



The Theory

When I wrote my goals for the year, I tried to make it so I could cover each genre I wrote in, at least in passing. Because I write in so many genres and under so many pen names, I realized I had to plan my time carefully. In doing that, I also realized it was not physically possible for me to have four releases a year in each genre for each pen name… at least, not while holding down a full-time job. So, I came up with a set of tiered goals and wishlists. Tier 1 is the minimum of what I think I can do. At the end of the first week, it seemed to be holding. At the end of two months, not so much; I’m way ahead of schedule, but I’m not producing new words <sigh>.
Tier 2 was what I hope to achieve in good conditions. Tiers 3-4 were my dream tiers, the projects that I really wanted to do, but couldn’t work on, due to time constraints.
So, every week, I planned to advance Tier 1 by a revised chapter or 1,000 words a day, Tier 2 was the same progression, if I could reach it, and Tiers 3-4 got whatever was left over. Everything else was prioritized around that.

The Original Mark-2 List

I spread these goals out over the next four years. Lumped together in a chronological order under each tier, they looked like this:

Tier 1 (all are novels between 80-100k words in length)

  • Shadow’s Rise (scheduled 30 January 2013; released 01 January 2013);
  • Shadow Trap (scheduled 05 July 2013; released 02 March 2013);
  • Shadow’s Fall (scheduled 15 December 2013)
  • +1 book/year thereafter


Tier 2 (all are novels between 60-75k words in length:

  • 2 releases per year for Madeleine Torr

Tier 3 (a mix chapter books up to 5k words in length, and novellas between 30-50k words in length. As this list is very broken, right now, I’ll only go to the very start of 2014):



  • All Alone (scheduled 12 February 2013; released 17 February 2013);
  • Novella (scheduled 15 March 2013; released)
  
Tier 4 (a mix an annual and roleplaying adventures; broken beyond repair):

  • Zombie Annual (scheduled 7 April 2013);
  • 3 x roleplaying adventures (scheduled 28 July, 8 December 2013 and 10 April 2014)

Mark 3 Change Theory

So, I’ve simplified things. Why?

  • Because my focus changed with experience;
  • Because I have completed work that just needs to get out there; it does me no good sitting on a shelf gathering dust;
  • Because I need to respond to reader interest as manifest in sales, and the schedule didn’t allow that;
  • Because I need to keep writing something new, even while producing the back list;
  • Because I’m working way ahead of the original schedule.

Mark 3 Changes

These are broader, but respond to indications of reader preferences, and my own foci:

  • Take Tier 1 and accelerate it until I reach where I get to produce brand spanking new words, regardless of the age of the idea (From Fisherpriest 2 onwards);
  • Keep working on the Tier 2 list, but add in titles from Pen Name 3 whose work is selling well, and whose readers will be looking for more;
  • Tier 3 has had two chapter book titles added and released years ahead of time; release one non-illustrated chapter book per month, while working on sourcing a b&w illustrator. Step up the pace on the novellas for Pen Name 1.
  • Tier 4 requires work on rules knowledge and then sourcing line work illustrators. Art work for some products can be sourced on Dreamstime. Zombie Annual on backburner.
  • Extras: Anthology work and short stories need to continue, and, therefore, should be added into the schedule. Release rate for short stories should be around 1 per fortnight or month, which will mean older work will be released by the end of the year. Fresh work to be produced in the meantime.
  • Dream Projects: Some work for older young adults, and completion of recently discovered earlier work that would suit that audience. This means launching Pen Name 5. Calendars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go