Australian Birds: The Blue-Eyed Raven (Corvus coronoides??)

I saw this guy down by the lake - and, yes, it could just as easily be a girl, but I don't know how to tell, so live with it. What struck me was the colour of its eyes. It really does have blue eyes, a startling, surprising blue. Check it out.


 And throat feathers that remind me of a beard, when he checks out the sky.



Although the effect disappears when it turns its head.


After taking a good, long look at me and deciding I was no threat, this not-so-little guy continued hunting for whatever it was that had taken his fancy earlier.

But I wonder if it's the same bird. All the descriptions I've seen of Corvus coronoides have it with white eyes. Why does this one have eyes so clearly blue?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go