Writing Life: The Publishing
- Publish as widely as possible.
- Distribute as widely as possible.
- Follow the instructions on each platform carefully.
- Be aware of where each platform distributes your work—you don’t want duplication in your distribution. It leads to confusion. I keep a spreadsheet for this, and I upload directly wherever possible. OmniLit, for instance, is self-contained, apart from its sister-site AllRomance, but Smashwords distributes widely. Smashwords has an opt-out button for each distributor, for each title, and you’re best to opt-out when you set up a title for publication.
- Do not agree to exclusivity for any platform, as it limits the readers your work can reach.
- Publish in as many formats as you are comfortable with. These include: e-book forms (PDF, .mobi, .prc to name a few); print forms (CreateSpace sells through Amazon as well as on its own site); and audioforms (Amazon has an audio platform, too).