Meet the Authors of The Expanding Universe—P. R. Adams

Today, we meet P.R. Adams, one of the 20 contributors to the latest Expanding Universe anthology, and author of The Burning Sands, Rimes and Stefan Mendoza trilogies and the Elite Response Force  and The Chain series. Today, he's here to talk about what inspired his story "A Little Surprise" and why he writes. Please welcome him to the blog:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I'm Phil. I publish under the name P. R. Adams. You can find my website at  http://p-r-adams.com/ or connect with me on Facebook at  http://facebook.com/PRAdamsAuthor/. The Books link on my website shows my catalog and the Amazon button actually links to a service known as Books2Read, which redirects to whichever of the stores you like (Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Nook, etc.).

I'm a lover of genre. Science fiction, fantasy, horror, suspense/thrillers, crime—I love them all. And I love mixing them up. My stories draw influence from all my experiences, starting with 1950s B movies with giant bugs and killer aliens and two-fisted pulp fiction, then on into classic SF TV movies and books. I also enjoy the rare brilliant modern movie, such as "Dark City" and "Inception." I'm just as at home reading a Richard K. Morgan SF novel or a Robert E. Howard Conan sword & sorcery short piece as I am a Richard Matheson horror story, a Michael Crichton thriller, or an Elmore Leonard crime novel, and I think the imaginary lines drawn between these are as misguided as Flat Earth theories.

Unless you believe in that sort of thing. I guess.

Somehow, I was lucky enough to be allowed into The Expanding Universe Volume 4 alongside so many truly gifted authors. My contribution is "A Little Surprise." This is a tale of Sergeant Wilson, a young soldier forced into a leadership position in a mission to test a new weapon against aliens that have conquered Earth. Wilson is the protagonist for the series The Prometheans, which picks up several years after the conclusion of my just-completed Elite Response Force series.

As with most of my military SF stories, I pulled from historical influences for the tone of this piece. In this case, World War II commando operations around Normandy such as Operation Tonga were the main source. For me, understanding futuristic military scenarios requires understanding past ones.

As far back as I can remember, I've been drawn to special operations--small units performing critical tasks at horrific risk. That forms the backbone of my Jack Rimes and Elite Response Force books, and it's at the heart of this story. More than any other military force, special operations units require grit, independence, and agility, and they're particularly vulnerable to failed communications and bad intelligence. That's only magnified when the enemy is something truly alien. I tried to put that essence in "A Little Surprise."

I hope you enjoy it!


----------------------------------------------------------------

Would you like to read more? 

Phil’s Elite Response Force books, and his Jack Rimes series are currently available and "A Little Surprise" can be found in The Expanding Universe Volume 4, released on September 17, 2018. You can also connect with P.R. at: http://p-r-adams.com/ and http://facebook.com/PRAdamsAuthor/.


 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go