Wednesday’s Verse—Living by the Troll Marsh

This week’s verse moves from one fantasy staple to another. It is taken from Another 365 Days of Poetry, a collection of mixed-genre poetry to be released later in the year, once both collection and cover are complete.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living by the Troll Marsh


I lived beside the troll marsh
where the long-lived hrudda call
where the moorhens cackle nightly
where with silence danger falls.
I lived beside the troll marsh
and learnt each inch of those foul fens
and I grew to hunt the monsters
that within it made their dens.
I lived beside the troll marsh
and on its shores I fought
the foul, the bestial, and ugly
from tiny troll to juggernaut
and I grew older near the troll marsh
and my reflexes they slowed
until another walked the shoreline
and took my duty’s load
I argued that the troll marsh
was no place to raise a child
and she laughed and called her youngling
and my doubts I reconciled
for too long had the troll marsh
without a dragon been
but now I’d met a hunter
who raised a dragon queen
who would give her child the troll marsh
as a heritage to prize
for no-one better keeps their homeland
than those a dragon sires
And I stayed there near the troll marsh
my heart too full to hold
the joy of such strong company
as with day’s twilight, I grew old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the first two poetry collections at the links below - although there are plans to reissue them with more genre-appropriate covers in the future. The third collection will be released later in the year.
books2read.com/u/mVLQZb
books2read.com/u/bxgyLd





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go