Wednesday's Verse - Demons in the Dark

This week’s verse moves from a fantasy poem about the end of a war to a horror fantasy poem about defeating a subtle evil. It is taken from 266 Days of Poetry, a collection of mixed-genre poetry released in 2016.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Demons in the Dark


A hand at my hip,

a demon at my side,

a monster in my closet,

where our worlds collide.



A whisper in the dark,

warm breath upon my neck,

a presence walking with me,

fear haunting every step.



An arm cross my shoulders,

tucks me close to another’s side,

a firm grip keeps me standing

from where I’d rather run and hide.



The monsters in our minds,

the monsters ’neath our beds,

the monsters in our closets

are the fears that feed our dread.



So I brush away that hand,

bid that presence firm adieu,

disentangle that iron grip,

tell the monster we are through.



And if he becomes a little stubborn,

if, in his advances, he persists,

I draw my sword and dagger,

and pointedly insist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the first two poetry collections at the links below - although there are plans to reissue them with more genre-appropriate covers in the future. The third collection will be released later in the year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go