An Extract from This Month's Release: Snake Treasure

I've decided to celebrate each release with a series of extracts that run for the month it's released in. This month saw the second edition of 366 Days of Flash Fiction released. Links to the collection can be found at Books2Read at: https://books2read.com/u/b6MrN0

 

Snake Treasure


Written on October 27, 2015, for the March 12 entry of 366 Days of Flash Fiction, this piece takes a look at one universal treasure.


The snake kept coming, all sinew and coil, and scaled determination. I couldn’t blame it; what I had taken was more valuable than gold—well worth killing me for. I could only run, ignoring the burning pain in my lungs, the sharp stab of pain in my side, the growing wobbliness in my legs.

I had to reach the river. I had to get to the other side. Problem was, I wasn’t going to make it. I ran anyway, and it kept coming, the hiss of its body gliding after me, turning my innards to ice.

I thumbed 000 and left the line open. The helicopters were waiting, hovering over the river bank, rope lowered, rescue crew dangling. The snake struck as I was hoisted away, but I lifted my legs, just in time. The egg, cradled against my chest, had been more than worth it.


Cover art is by Jake at JCaleb Design, and links to 366 Days of Flash Fiction can be found on Books2 Read at: https://books2read.com/u/b6MrN0





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go