The theory behind my response to Chuck Wendig’s terribleminds blog challenge posted 5 October 2012



This week’s terribleminds flash fiction challenge was enticing. We were given five titles, and the option of mixing the words from those titles to make a sixth title to write to using only the words existing in the titles on offer. I decided I liked the randomised method of selection found in previous flash fiction challenges and rolled a d6. The result was a ‘4’ and the title I was given was ‘Bright Stars Gone to Black’.
For the last four days, I haven’t really been able to latch onto an idea, so I’ve worked on some administration and let my subconscious work on it. Today, while waiting for an appointment, I worked through some ideas and decided the following:

  • I didn’t want to go with the literal meaning of real stars turning black. I figured it would be too big a story to deal with in 1,000 words and was also too obvious a path to take. Scratch the obvious sci-fi or horror angle.
  • The next thing I decided was not to go with famous people (literal ‘stars’) going from being ‘good’ to being ‘evil’. Again I just felt it was too obvious an angle to take.

Basically, I knew what I didn’t want for the main elements of the title, ‘stars’ and ‘black’:

  • I didn’t want ‘black’ to have a racial meaning.
  • I didn’t want ‘black’ to equate to death.
  • I didn’t want ‘black’ to mean ‘bad’.
  • I didn’t want ‘stars’ to be balls of gas shining down on us… cos those are really suns.
  • I didn’t want ‘stars’ to be famous people.

So, what did I want?
Well, I wanted black to mean something else, like maybe dark, and I wanted an alternative meaning, so how about the phrase ‘gone dark’. It was a little more subtle, although probably not by much, and it lent itself well to the story.
Next thing that popped into my head was the opening sentence: “They came for Corcoran in the night.”
And the story grew from there.
It’s amazing what you can achieve in a waiting room, where people leave you alone and don’t keep clawing their way into your head space.
Again, my thanks to Mr. Wendig, for providing so much fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go