Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

So, this little guy nearly bought it when I caught it eating the still-forming buds on my Robyn grevillea, but then I thought I might like to see which particular butterfly was responsible, so I took some pictures and decided to keep an eye on it, so I knew when it pupated.

The first shot - caterpillar happily nibbling on flower buds:


 Yup - definitely nibbling:


And here's another view. Note the little yellow lumps near its back end. Same day, but it was one of those cloudy days with variegated light.


And it kept nibbling for quite some time:


Stretching out to get the more tasty tidbits, and using its hind feet to keep a firm grip on the branch.


Eventually it looped back on itself...


...and headed into denser foliage.


It didn't always move in a straight line...


How come caterpillars have more feet than butterflies?


Eventually, it got into some much thicker growth (well, for a young grevillea, anyway), meaning it was somewhat protected by the spiky ends on the grevillea leaves.


And kept working deeper into the leaves...






I kept an eye on it, but about a week later I noticed a willy wagtail on the fence near the grevillea bush, and I haven't seen him since. I don't know whether to be sad or relieved.







Comments

  1. I got 'em also, but the whip-birds like the grubs as much as the grubs like the grevilleas, and that's (sort of) OK by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fine, but I don't have any whipbirds, and the little rascal ate all the flower buds on a small grevillea, before disappearing.... Maybe there's something else that ate him/her, because I didn't find a cocoon, either. Perhaps the wattlebird found him, or the willie wagtail that started hanging around shortly after. I keep hoping I'll find another one, but the grevillea hasn't reflowered yet. Fingers crossed, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi C.M. Simpson. Thanks for sharing your photos and observations. I think the caterpillar you found is an Oenochroma vinaria, the Pink Bellied Moth / Hakea Wine Moth...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go