Writing Life: Resources for the Beginner Indie



When I decided I wanted to write again, I took six months of research before deciding not to pursue a traditional publisher, or an agent. It wasn’t six months of wondering, though. It was six months of research. I read every blog I could find from as many different people in the publishing and writing industry as I could. I read traditionally published authors, hybrid authors, purely independent authors. I read agents’s blogs, publishers’ blogs, and industry commentators’ blogs. I went through articles on writing, on being published, on scams, on methods, on conventions.

And when I sat down and tallied up the pros and cons, I decided to go independent.

There’s a lot of information out there, so I’m going to narrow it down to four:


  • www.kriswrites.com:Kristine Kathryn Rusch blog - 40 year veteran with some good advice and insight into the publishing industry;
  • http://www.thepassivevoice.com/:an IP attorney whose blog collects information about the publishing industry from a variety of sources - good springboard for further research and resources; and

In addition to references, you will need to be aware of the different platforms you can publish from. Here are four to get you started:

And for covers you can use any program, but this one is free:

Hope that helps – and GOOD LUCK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go