Mack 'n' Me #6 - Writing Update #7

So, yesterday, Mack 6 reached 48,000 words. Now, this should be over the half-way mark, and I think it is, but we'll see. The journey continues. Here's an excerpt from yesterday's words:

Words from Day 10 (Chapter 21):

“We weren’t going to stop.” Mikalesket had joined us, again.

“Well, we are, now,” Mack told him. “We took a hit.”

“I know. We scanned your system.”

“And?” If Mack was surprised the lizardine were monitoring the ship that closely, he didn’t show it.

“The repairs are important.”

“And the engines?”

“They will need a little longer to recalibrate. The repair stop will not interrupt the process.”

Mack nodded and looked back to his boards. Mikalesket returned to his position at the back of the command center, and I realized he looked like he was alone. I narrowed my eyes, wondering exactly how many of his security team had accompanied him, and were now scattered around the command center.

Mack glanced at me, and then glanced around, fixing the lizardine councilor with a stern look. “Three,” he stated. “Only three.”

Mikalesket dipped his head in grave acknowledgement. “Understood.”

Mack glared at him. “I know you understand, Councilor, but I'm not certain you’re willing to comply.”

As if his words were a signal, three lizardine warriors came into view. Two were standing up near the forward view screen, in positions that allowed them to cover the center in crossfire if they needed to. The third appeared to one side and just in front of the councilor himself.

Mack took in where they were standing and frowned. “You weren’t expecting trouble, were you, Councilor? On my ship?”

Mikalesket regarded him with a serious expression. “I prepare for trouble no matter where I am, Captain. In that you and I are very much alike.”

Mack inclined his head, and then turned back to his crew. “Case, how far out are we?”

“Three days, if I don’t push her.”

“Don’t push her,” Mack advised. “I’ll check with Rohan and see how much time he thinks we can spare…and I’ll get him to see if the colony is compromised. With a merc force that big in-system, it would be surprising if the colony was operating independently.”

“Or freely,” Mikalesket added. “You may investigate. Advise me if you feel you need to take action.”

‘Advise’, I noted, not ‘check with me, first’, but ‘let me know’. It was better than I’d expected…or the lizardine was being diplomatic and giving Mack another indirect order. The councilor was a diplomat, after all.

Both of them turned to look at me. Mack frowned and gave me a look of mock concern.

“You know, Cutter, you’re looking kinda tired.” His gaze shifted to take in the harness I was still wearing. “And your gear needs to be stowed.”

He shrugged out of his harness, and passed it to me. “Mine, too.”

If I didn’t know any better, I’d have said he was trying to get rid of me.

Preferably before you cause a diplomatic incident.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, with that, I'll get on with today's words. You guys take care.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go