An Extract from This Month's Release: Negotiation by Starlight

I've decided to celebrate each release with a series of extracts that run for the month it's released in. This month saw the second edition of 366 Days of Flash Fiction released. Links to the collection can be found at Books2Read at: https://books2read.com/u/b6MrN0

 

Negotiation by Starlight


Written on April 12, 2016, for the March 27 entry of 366 Days of Flash Fiction, this piece is about two races meeting.


Beneath starry skies, they came, sliding from shadow to shadow, their fur glistening with reflected moonlight. I watched them come, seeing them when they vanished into the dark, still seeing them when they emerged. I don’t think they liked it much.

I didn’t care. They had come to break a treaty. I had come to keep it. If I could keep them off-balance, the treaty might survive. Seeing them, when I wasn’t meant to, might just tip the balance.

I showed no fear when their leader appeared before me, in the shadow of the oak.

“You should be afraid,” she said.

I curled my lip, mirroring her smirk.

“Why? We have something you need,” I replied. 

Her expression shifted, only a little, but enough that I realized I was right. That treaty stands today.


Cover art is by Jake at JCaleb Design, and links to 366 Days of Flash Fiction can be found on Books2 Read at: https://books2read.com/u/b6MrN0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go