Challenge 3: The Great Publishing Challenge

I've been holding off talking about this challenge, for a few reasons. Firstly, because it's something I've wanted to try for a while...and now I have there's part of me that wants to keep it to myself. Secondly, because, for the first time in quite a while, I actually care if I fail at something I'm doing for myself. And, thirdly, because I'm just a little pushed for time, but not because of this project.

The last three years, I've learned I can produce, but I've forgotten I need to do that for myself as well as for everyone else, so I got started doing exactly that, and then decided it was the perfect time to challenge myself...and to do something I've been wanting to try for a while, a kind of combined carrot and stick, if you like.

Will I succeed? To be honest, I don't know, but I think the chances are smaller than I'd like and better than I think, so who knows. I could write this and fail out, tomorrow, or still be going strong. There's only one way to find out.

So, What is The Great Publishing Challenge?

It's a challenge run by Dean Wesley Smith and WMG on Teachable. You can find it here: https://wmg-publishing-workshops-and-lectures.teachable.com/p/the-great-publishing-challenge

The challenge is to publish a book a month, for the next 12 months with the following conditions:

  • the book must not have been published before;
  • the book can be a novella (20k minimum), a novel, a collection of at least 5 short stories with a forward (stories can have previously been published individually), an omnibus of three or more novels or novellas (which can have been previously published individually);
  • the book must be published wide - i.e. at least on Kobo, Draft2Digital and Amazon;
  • the book can be already written (just not previously published);
  • a link to the book must be sent before the deadline;
  • a paperback copy of the book must be mailed during the month after publication.

The Rewards?

  • a book published for every month you hit the challenge goal;
  • workshop credits to the cost of the challenge if you miss;
  • greater workshop credits if you hit the six- or twelve-month mark.

Value for Me?

I've wanted to do this challenge since I first saw it a few years ago. The attempt is a bucket-list item for me. Once I finish the challenge, to whatever degree, I get to do some courses I've wanted to do for a long time, run by a knowledgeable writer I admire. It's as simple as that, and the added value is I'm already enjoying my writing more because of it. Some people climb mountains...or jump off them...I do...this - and I love it. 

The art below is courtesy of Jake at JCaleb Design.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go