This is where I write about writing, languages, literature, my books and publishing endeavours, and my academic musings. You might also catch me blogging about pokemon, or Ingress, or showing pictures of the local wildlife or places I visit, but mostly it'll be writing.
The Story Match Challenge—Day 5: July 11, 2015
I woke and checked out how Dean Wesley Smith was going on his July Story
Challenge. He’d completed another story, amongst all the other
publishing things he does, and then he talked about short stories and how
they’re helpful in discovering novels. On this, I have to agree. I have found
three or four different worlds in writing my flash fiction and poetry pieces,
and there are several of those that are demanding to have novels of their own.
Today’s word goal is 2,400, match or
minimum, depending on what the story wants, and then I hope to catch up on some
other work. I also didn’t want to still be typing at midnight.
I started writing at
09:30 with the opening line: Serpent by
name, serpent by nature, and the idea that I wanted to revisit one of the
worlds I had discovered. My mind was hedging towards the pixie dust or Odyssey
settings, and I ended up finding myself writing about one of the lizard
creatures from yesterday’s story. I tried to keep the story short, but it just
didn’t want to be crowded into a short version, so I ended up with a 4,600 word
Sometime during that
time, I read an article about Melbourne’s trees being given email addresses so
people could report problems with them, and I had the spark for a flash fiction
story. I jotted down the idea so I could get to it later.
family and food, it took me 8 hours to complete today’s words.
I finished writing
the idea I had for a piece of flash fiction (455, speculative), but decided to
call it a day without writing the other two flash pieces of 3 poetry pieces. I
wanted to spend some time with family.
Joins the Dance (4,607 words-science
366 Days of
Flash Fiction:Partially completed
(1/2)—Tamran’s Trees (455
Entries: 2—The Story
Match Challenge, Day 5 (356
words) and Progress Report, Week 2, July 2015 (726 words)
This report is actually going out on
time. It’s been a busy week, and, with exams approaching, it’s only going to
get busier. This is what happened the week just gone.
Week 1 ProgressNew
words produced: 67 + poetry and flash handwritten
and Notes: NilWorks
completed: 14 (7 poems, 7 flash fiction)Works
edited: 1 (CS initial edit for Army Boots & Stilettos)Covers
created: 0 (CS format done for Army Boots & Stilettos)Works
Entered: 0Bloggery: 1,829University
Prep and Assignments: 3,392Writing News The week just gone saw me trying to
complete a second assessment item. Unfortunately, it proved more complex than
expected, so, although I completed the words required, with 30-40 references in
place, I’m not completely happy with the result, and have decided to go over it
this week to see if I can tweak it into something more satisfactory. I also
completed the initial edit and format of Army Boots & Stilettos, but want