This is where I write about writing, languages, literature, my books and publishing endeavours, and my academic musings. You might also catch me blogging about pokemon, or Ingress, or showing pictures of the local wildlife or places I visit, but mostly it'll be writing.
The Story-A-Week and Holiday Extension Challenge Fails Wrap-Up
Last December, I undertook two challenges:
The Story-A-Week and Holiday Extension Challenges.
criteria for these Challenges were as follows:
Story-A-Week Challenge: Write and submit one short
story (of between 1,500 and 12,000 words), each week for the next twelve months
(the 55 weeks from December 13, 2015 through December 31, 2016). (55 short
Holiday Extension Challenge: During the summer break,
and the mid-semester break next year, write one Carlie Simonsen chapter book
each week, and have it uploaded for pre-ordering within six weeks from
completion. The periods for this challenge were as follows:
Summer Holidays (7 weeks from December 13, 2015
through February 15, 2016); the Mid-Semester Holidays (7 weeks from May 28,
2016 through July 16, 2016); and the End-of-Year Holidays (6 weeks from
November 20, 2016 through December 31, 2016). (20 chapter books)
Untimely End and Results
In February, when university kicked in,
again, I realised I couldn’t complete the challenges until I worked out how to
balance the study load with family, writing and publishing commitments, so I
made a choice to study and revisited things in June. At the time of their
premature ending, the results of the challenges were as follows:
1:ShortStory61—Seppelitus: reached 13,500 words and
wasn’t suitable for submission to more than one market. It was submitted,
rejected and published with a release date of October 30, 2016.
2:ShortStory473—The Severine Sidestep: reached 5,300
words and was submitted to a major competition and several professional markets
until being slated for a release date of December 2, 2016.
3:ShortStory630—Rendezvous at Raptor’s Rest: reached
11,239 words, and was scheduled for release on January 13, 2017.
4:ShortStory508—Lord of the Vortex: reached 4,045
words, and was submitted to several professional markets until being published
with a release date of September 23, 2016.
5:ShortStory483—Headlines from the Starman (was The
Royal Starman in the Moon):
reached 3,669 words, and was submitted to several professional markets until
being published with a release date of August 12, 2016.
Holiday Extension Challenge
1: Nil—see Week 5;
2:Chapbook14I—Legacy of Hope (Wheelchair Adventures #2): was completed on time, and released on
April 15, 2016;
3: Nil—see Week 5;
4: Nil—see Week 6;
5: The book scheduled for this week was not
completed until Week X, but I used the time to start to catch up on two of the
chapter books I had missed earlier in the challenge. The first of these was Chapbook5C—Rocky Rides the Space Range (Otherworld Adventures #4): which was meant to be completed in Week
1, but was not completed until this week of the challenge. It was released on
February 19, 2016. It was followed by Chapbook14J—Legacy of Hearts (Wheelchair Adventures #3): which was
meant to be completed in Week 3, but was not completed until Week 6 of the
challenge, and was released on May 20, 2016.
6: Chapbook5D—Rocky Touches Down
(Otherworld Adventures #5): was not started until
Week 6 of the challenge, and was completed in Week 7. It was released on March
Only 5 out of 55 short stories completed, and 4
out of 20 projected chapter books were completed. It was not the most inspiring
of efforts, I have to admit, but I did
learn that I had limits, and that there were choices I had to make. Seeing as I
still wanted to successfully complete my university studies, my writing had to
give that a bit of time. Come June, and I wanted to try to get things back on
track, to work this business at a more professional level, and that’s what I’m
trying to do, now.
This report is actually going out on
time. It’s been a busy week, and, with exams approaching, it’s only going to
get busier. This is what happened the week just gone.
Week 1 ProgressNew
words produced: 67 + poetry and flash handwritten
and Notes: NilWorks
completed: 14 (7 poems, 7 flash fiction)Works
edited: 1 (CS initial edit for Army Boots & Stilettos)Covers
created: 0 (CS format done for Army Boots & Stilettos)Works
Entered: 0Bloggery: 1,829University
Prep and Assignments: 3,392Writing News The week just gone saw me trying to
complete a second assessment item. Unfortunately, it proved more complex than
expected, so, although I completed the words required, with 30-40 references in
place, I’m not completely happy with the result, and have decided to go over it
this week to see if I can tweak it into something more satisfactory. I also
completed the initial edit and format of Army Boots & Stilettos, but want