Babes in London: Act Three, Scene 1A (Part 2: Meeting the Artist—Continued)


SCENE 1A: MEETING THE ARTIST

Give the PCs time to interact. Mischief returns to the downstairs gallery as soon as David thanks her, and they are left in private to talk. When they start asking questions about the painting, David guides them to a room at the rear of the second floor: “This way,” he says. “This is my break time and I need a cup of tea. Malady will be almost ready for us. She said I might have visitors today.” Before you can protest, or ask who Malady is, he leads you towards the back of the room and through a door to a cosy, if somewhat small, dining room. A tall woman, dressed incongruously in yellow, blue and green greets you with a small smile. “Ah, Malady,” David says. “You were correct. We have guests for tea.” Once she serves a traditional tea, Malady steps back and takes off her apron. “If it’s all the same with you, Mr Markovin,” she says, “I’m going off for a few hours. You can ring if you need me.” Her hand rests beside a silver bell mounted on the wall beside the kitchen door, and then she turns and walks back into what has to be the kitchen. “Now,” David says, turning to you, “What was it you wanted to know?”

Allow the PCs a short time to interact with David before the Setites attack. They are able to discover the following information:

Where did the idea for the painting come from?
“It moves, you know. It was the first in the unicorn series. I painted it after weeks of trying to get the image out of my head. They came in my dreams, you know – the unicorn maid and her beast. Wouldn’t take no for an answer. Night after night after night” he seems almost in tears. “Some say I shouldn’t complain; it defined my career, but it still worries me. Once I had painted her, she never visited me again. Funny you should ask about that painting, though. You’ve got to be the third lot who’ve come through wanting more information.”

Who else has been asking about the painting?
“Well, it’s been more about the print. Where did I sell it? Who did I sell the painting to? Where was it painted? You know, all the usual types of questions. Guys in suits – not the usual type of documentary makers at all… Brought a film crew and all, they did. Then there were the ‘men in black’ – I gave those creeps the brush off.”

Who bought the unicorn print:
“Any one of two hundred and fifty people,” David replies. “It sold out within a week of production, and there’s been demand for it ever since, but I haven’t reprinted it – I never do. One painting, two hundred and fifty prints, and no more; it’s what keeps my work valuable.

Where was it painted?
“There’s a mansion, you know? One of those places the public can visit. Beautiful gardens, absolutely lovely. Kept up by some private gardening supplier – I can’t remember his name but I guess he does it for the free advertising. Anyway, I knew of it from my student days. It’s got this oak tree, and a small stand of birch, and one of the best camellia gardens I’ve ever seen. I did the painting in early autumn, just as the leaves were turning. There’s a beautiful contrast in color then.

Can you tell us the name of the mansion?
Tenson’s Place. It’s quite a way from here, more to the south although Heaven knows what it’s doing there. Maybe it was some sort of hospital or monastery. I’m not sure; I didn’t pay much attention to its history, I was just after the scenery.

Can you tell us the name of the gardening supplier?
Not really. It was something strange. Something to do with hours. No! No. Minutes? No, wait a minute – Time. It was something to do with time and maybe sport. Half Time. That was it! Half Time something or other. Look it up in the yellow pages; I’m sure you’ll find it.

As the PCs talk, have them make Earth (Senses) TH4 tests. The Setite assassins have arrived and, after successfully sneaking past Mischief, have made their way upstairs to the studio. As soon as a PC/s succeed at a test, read or paraphrase, the following:

There it is again! At first you weren’t sure, but now… And again! There is definitely something, or someone, moving in the studio. The faint ripple of shadow across the wall visible from the doorway and the faint sound of what might be canvas being lifted signal that you’re not alone. It can’t be Malady; she’s disappeared back through the door leading to what has to be a tiny kitchenette and, presumably, her quarters beyond. At least, you think that’s what she meant when she said she was ‘going off’ for a couple of hours, because she certainly didn’t go down the stairs.

If the PCs mention seeing anything, David immediately leaps up and rushes through the door opposite the one leading to the studio. Go to Scene 1b: Attack on the Artist. If the PCs don’t mention seeing anything, or don’t notice the Setites, the distinctive rumble of a metal drawer sliding out is heard from the next room. Go to Scene 1b: Attack on the Artist.

NOTE: This adventure is not sanctioned in any way, shape or form by Fantasy Flight. It is not an official product, and I am in no way affiliated with them or they with me. There is no relationship between us. This adventure is mine, for fun, and for you, because some of you asked me to finish it.

Also, if you like this adventure and want to play it, please go buy the official rulebooks from somewhere where the original creators and publisher of the setting will be paid. I got mine from a Melbourne game store, but I’ve found PDF versions of the Player's Handbook and the Gamemaster's Handbook are now available from DriveThruFiction. If you enjoy their world, this is the best way to thank them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go