Yesterday's Words #2 - Lioma #1, Mack #6, & Andromeda's Pledge #1

I'm trying a new routine, one that hopefully fits a bit better with the way I write...and that means doing more than one project at any one time. So far, I'm liking it- but we'll see. Ask me next week.

I'm also getting back to walking. Given we've still got a virus on the loose - and it's cold outside and I don't want to get sick - I've been doing this inside the house. So far, so good. It's warm and I don't have to rug up for it...or worry if the unmasked jogger that just went past me was infected.

I like not having to worry.

Now, I just have to remember that it's okay to sleep.

In the meantime, we have words!

Words from the Third:

Andromeda's Pledge #1 (Chapter 2):

Casilia was about to intervene, when her phone started ringing, again. She gestured at the suitcase she’d just finished packing. “Can you take this, Joe?”

“I’ve got it,” he told her.

“And get your sisters into car?” Casilia added, pulling her mobile out of her pocket and raising it to her ear. “Yes?”

Joseph hauled the bag out to the car.

“Kimmie, you’re in the middle,” he ordered, and forestalled her protest by adding, “or I get to look at your surprise.”

Normally, she would have argued, but the one mention of him looking at her surprise had her closing her mouth and clutching the bag tightly to her chest.

“You need to keep an eye on her,” he told Katherine, before the girl could make a move for the front seat.

She drew a sharp breath to argue, but their mother came hurrying out of the house, her keys jangling in her hands, and a look of near panic on her face.

“We have to go straight away!” she said, as if struggling to keep her voice low. “Right. Now.”

There was no arguing with that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lioma: Half-Elven (Chapter 4):

I wondered at the insects, and then guessed they all had something to do with the health of the plants. Not even the purple and gold form of a lithe cat surprised me, even if I found the intelligent look in its lavender eyes somewhat disconcerting.

Cats were used to keep all sorts of pests at bay, and while wolves might be considered dogs, they weren’t above using felines to serve a specific need. I crouched and extended my hand to the pretty feline.

It arched its back, weaving affectionately around a nearby toadstool stem and opening its mouth in a silent yowl.

“Come on, kitty,” I crooned, despising the bass in my tones.

The kitty didn’t seem to mind them, but it cocked its head and stretched before trotting purposefully through a slightly broader gap between two fungal trees. Curious, I followed. Maybe there was a way out, after all…

After all, if anything was known for going where it pleased it had to be a cat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mack 'n' Me #6 (Chapter 26):

I pushed my chair back from the table, and walked toward the door, smacking one of the security guards over the back of the head as I passed. The fact I wished it was Delight’s head might have meant I put a bit more oomph into it than I needed to, but I reefed the door wide and bolted into the street.

Get rid of our tails…check, I thought as the two guards left their meals and came after me.

I am gonna kick your tail, when this is done, Mack promised.

And you want me back on the Shady, I teased. I’m betting these guys could do with a good waitress.

Now, listen here… Mack began, but I wasn’t listening…and nor was I ‘here’.

I’d found a corner to turn and the kind of narrow accessway that passed for an alley in an orbital and I was piss-bolting down it with two very angry security guards on my heels.

Hearing them shout “Stop or we’ll shoot!” once they were out of sight of the main concourse, wasn’t entirely unexpected.

I threw myself around the next corner and heard them curse…and they weren’t the only ones. Mack was turning our private comms channel into something very blue. That man sure knew how to cuss.

There was definitely some mat time in my future.

And brig time! he threatened. Definitely brig time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the stories continue. Here's to hoping your days are going as well.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go