First Words & A Change of Routine: September 05, 2018—Mack ‘n’ Me: The Wolves of Alpha 9

There are some days when you realise that the thing that’s worked for you for countless books before, just isn’t going to work for the projects you’re working on. Today was one of those days. Usually I can work between three and four projects simultaneously along a timeline, but I’ve struggled to do that over the last week, and I realised today was going to be another day where I wasn’t going to be able to flip between the two—so I tried something different.
The theory is this: If you write 3,000 words a day for 30 days, you can complete the draft for a 90,000-word novel in a month. If you do this for two projects, you can finish up with two novels at the end of a month, AND if you put down a thousand words a day on something else, you can get short stories and part of another novel done in that timeframe, as well.
This is true. I’ve done it, before, and was just starting to make a habit of the single novel a month, when June arrived, and I was incredibly sick. I’d almost gotten back to it by the end of July, when I discovered how many words a day I needed to type to give myself RSI. It’s taken August to deal with that little SNAFU. So, I shouldn’t have been surprised when my second novel started getting downright uncooperative, and my work in progress got grabby.
Now, I have a new theory: If I write 7,000 words a day on one project—and I beg you, don’t die of shock here; I’m still me, just trying something new. So, if I write 7,000 words a day on one projecteven taking into account days I schedule for no writing due to Life (you know, rental inspection, dental appointments, etc.)—then I can still finish two novels and some shorter work each month… and maybe I can avoid RSI while I’m at it. It just means I have to accept writing in one series for a few months, before I can switch out to something new.
I can live with that, right? Right?
Okay, maybe. Like I said, this is new. Let’s see if I can make it work, or if I’ll need to go back to split projects, again. Today, it worked fine, and I put down a little over 7,000 words in six half-hour- to an hour-long stints, taking a short break between each. Five and a half hours out of the eight and a half I’ve been awake, and 7,000 words nailed. Right now, that’s where I want to be. Can I sustain it? I’m going to give it my very best shot.
In the meantime, today's First Words find Cutter is still causing trouble, and getting into more shit than she can easily handle, so it’s a good thing she’s got the crew of the Shady Marie at her back… or is it? Honestly, there are some days I wonder. Here are today’s first words for Mack ‘n’ Me: The Wolves of Alpha 9:
----------------------------------------------------------------

It’s hard to look up at someone, while keeping your chin down, harder still to avoid looking them in the eye. I managed to stand on my own two feet, and not fall over, and somehow fumbled my way through the rest. Memories of Rovan wandered through my head, and I pulled myself together. This was not Rovan, and I was not going to offer him my throat in submission.
“Good to hear,” Mack murmured.
“You might not have a choice,” Case said.
“Didn’t you have a mission to go on?” I snarled back.
“Working on it.” Tens, cutting in before Case or Stepyan can reply.
“Work faster,” I snapped, and, whether it was the pain, or fatigue from swimming through a river of ant honey, I don’t know, but I said that last bit out loud.
The long-clawed hand that picked me up by the throat and pinned me to the wall at eye height jolted me back out of my head, and I realised something really had come adrift in my chest. It shifted, and I gasped. The wolf captain curled his lip, and I focused on his fangs rather than look him in the eye.
Looking him in the eye when he was this pissed-off with me… Not a good idea.
“Pissing him off in the first place. Not a good idea.”
Thanks, Mack.
What was it with all the captains in my life?

----------------------------------------------------------------

 Would you like to read more? 

The first three books and two short stories in the Mack ‘n’ Me ‘n’ Odyssey series: Mack ‘n’ Me: Origins, The Depredides Dance, Mack ‘n’ Me: Blaedergil’s Host, Mack ‘n’ Me: Arach and Cloud Door, are also available. The fourth book, Mack ‘n’ Me: The Transporter’s Favour will release shortly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go