Mack 'n' Me #6 Update #1

Writing has commenced on Mack 'n' Me #6, the final book in this series. In fact, it commenced some time ago, but I forgot to post an update, so I'll give you two small snippets each day until I've caught up, and then I'll post the day after each piece is written.

I struggled with the start of this one, so I've started late and will be pushing to make the 80,000-word length by the 31st, but I'm going to do my best, given that's my personal due date. If the words go over, I might be a week late, but it won't be any more than that.

Writing - Day 1 (Chapter 1):

“You came back.” Mack looked like he was having trouble understanding the concept.

“And your point is?” I demanded.

“But…”

It was funny to see him so lost for words. I let him struggle a little bit longer.

“But you never come back on your own.”

I gave him my most evil grin and punched him—hard. He grunted and took a half step back. Okay, so maybe I usually punched him harder, but I really didn’t feel like it, so that was gonna have to do.

“There,” I snapped, as he stepped back to where he was. “Does that make you feel any better?”

He cocked his head, reading past my defiance to see what lay underneath, and I watched his lips curve into the tiniest of smiles.

“It’s good to see you, too,” he told me, “but if you want that hug, you’re gonna have to do better than that.”

Damn! The man was just as broken as I was—and neither of us liked backing down.

Rohan groaned. “I think I’m going to be sick.”

Writing - Day 2 (Chapter 2):

Mikalesket’k’Tor was waiting. He stood twenty yards away, in careful plain sight, looking as human as the rest of us. Sunlight glinted off the heavy-duty armor he wore, but his helmet stayed open and he observed us with alert dark eyes.

It all struck me as so very wrong.

I glanced at Mack, and mirrored his slow pivot, taking me to the outside of Pritchard as Mack slowly drifted back to the other side of Delight. As we moved to the flanks, letting Delight and Pritchard take the lead, two more figures rippled into being beside the councilor.

I caught sight of more heavy armor, two long lance-like weapons and tails, but let Delight and Pritchard take the lead on it. Those figures belonged to the councilor’s bodyguard. The four others rising from the clearing’s long grass around us, I could not be so sure of.

Those did not have the long spears in hand. They held heavy duty blasters of a make I didn’t recognize.

Talk to me, Delight. Mack’s voice growled through all our heads.

Stand fast, came back in a short snap filled with tension.

I brought my blaster up, taking aim on the nearest lizard-man. Unlike his colleagues near the councilor, this one’s helmet was closed, and so was his hunting partner’s.

Laughter hissed through our skulls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, we'll cover Days 3-4. I look forward to catching you, then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go