Mack 'n' Me #6 - Writing Update #3

Words are happening, and this section shows how short works can inspire something much longer...although I didn't realize this novel was going to tie in the lizardine and Lunar Wolves until I'd started writing.

Yes, I write first and discover the story a little ways in - and then I lock down an outline...at least until the story decides it wants a slightly different path to follow. The outline is done (and has been since about Day 2), and the story seems happy with it so far.

As I write this, at the beginning of Day 6, we are almost a third of the way through the expected word count, so the outline looks pretty solid...even if the target word count does not. I'm thinking this novel might run an extra 10-20 thousand over. We'll see.

The good thing about being indie is I can give the story the room it wants, and not try to cram it into a publisher's ideal. While I do have the skill to hit a designated word length, I find it's better for the story not to have to...the conclusion tends to be better drawn, and the variations aren't usually too big. You know, famous last words and all that.

Having said that, if I do submit to a professional market, I make very sure I'm under their maximum and over their minimum, and that the story meets their genre, and other, requirements - because guidelines are there for a reason. I don't expect to be an exception to the rule - and neither should any writer who wants someone to publish their work and pay for it.

So, without further ado, here are the snippets:

Words from Day 5 (Chapter 10):

As we left the Teleportation Center, we noticed that the corridors were empty.

I ordered the crew to gather in Briefing Room Nine, if they were off-duty, Tens informed us. We’ll need to get there once the decision’s been made, but we need to be on the bridge so we’re ready to do whatever it is we need to.

To run, or pray, or beg for mercy if it all went south, I guessed, and didn’t let any of that reach the surface.

Terror raced through me, and then settled in an icy shroud over my skin and bones as we turned into the command center. Every crew slot was full, and half a dozen more people stood around the walls.

I don’t know what they thought they could do, but I understood their need to be somewhere we could act. By all the Stars, I did.

Mack’s hand tightened on mine, and then pulled me over to the captain’s console. Every other seat was taken, but the spare flight couch behind his remained empty. Anyone would think the crew knew that was designated for me.

It kinda is, Tens said, as he slid into the flight couch beside Rohan’s. I noticed that Cascade was already harnessed into the pod Mack had installed for him behind the comms console.

Things were as serious as hell…a point that was driven home, when the forward screen came alive before Tens could lay a finger to the console—and Rohan lifted his hands clear of it.

“Wasn’t me,” he announced, as a picture of the inside of the Earth High council chamber came into focus…and not just that.

Not only did we get the picture of the council chamber, but our port screen went live, showing the faces of all the council members attending the meeting remotely. Some of them looked as though they’d just been hauled out of bed.

Before any of us could comment on that, however, a startled exclamation drew our attention to the team monitoring the engines and power. One of them turned a stunned face to Mack.

“She’s dead, sir. We’re not going anywhere.”

“He’s right, Mack. We’re grounded…and anchored.” Case’s quiet tones sent a shiver of alarm around the center.

“Anchored?” Mack asked, and I heard the suppressed alarm in his voice.

“Yessir,” and “Yes, Mack,” came as a discomforting chorus.

Mack sat back in his chair and then gestured at the screen.

“We’ll cross those bridges if we need to,” he decided, giving Tens and Rohan a glance. They both sat straighter and looked down at their board.

Mack held up a hand. “Not yet,” he told them. “We need to let this thing play through.”

Subdued protest rose from different sections of the bridge, and he stood, ducking his head and holding his hand higher. “I don’t see any threat to the Shady, do you?”

They looked at the scan team and the remaining screen and began to shake their heads, which, of course, was when the lizardine cruiser rippled into visibility off our starboard bow.

Words from Day 6 (Chapter 13):

I took point, moving ahead of the councilor, the captain and her lieutenant. Ssesketh’s team formed a perimeter on the flanks, and Mack took the rear. I used the grenade launcher on the door.

Cutter!

It’s called caution AND speed, sweetheart.

I ought to put you over my knee!

I’d like to see you try…

Movement caught my eye and I ended the conversation with two short bursts from my blaster.

Happy now?

You and I are going to talk about your fire control when we get back.

There was nothing wrong with my fire control and we both knew it. Those two bursts had put down the two thugs coming at us from the corridor with as much precision as he took out the three coming up the corridor behind us.

The lizardine kept their charges firmly in the center, even when the captain hissed at them in frustration. It was such a lizardine sound that I filed it away for replay, later.

A door burst open to my left and I put down another two guys coming at us with guns. I really hoped that the Earth High Commander had told his men to stand down, and that I was shooting guards obeying someone else’s agenda.

I caught sight of a larger group massing in one of the rooms I passed, and fired a grenade through the door. It would make them think twice about sticking their heads out, if nothing else.

The corridor ended in a well-appointed foyer and I promptly took out the large double doors that formed an imposing entrance into the ballroom and dining area beyond.

“Cutter!”

“Speed AND caution, Mack…or d’you want to come up here and drive?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, with that, I'll leave you. We're all caught up, so there'll be only one extract, tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing you, then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go