First Words—July 21, 2018: C.M. Simpson

On Sunday, the work continued on both novels, although I didn’t get as many words completed on Mack ‘n’ Me: The Wolves of Alpha 9 as I’d like.

The Priestess, the Prince & the Dragon’s Children


So, I knew everything wasn’t fine. I knew that, but I couldn’t tell Chushka. I couldn’t put my unease into words, and give it more power than it already had. I ran my fingers over the shells of my children’s eggs, murmuring a soft goodnight to each one, and I prayed Chushka couldn’t read my feelings on my face.

But she had told me that she had a sense for these things, and she remained troubled.

“Something is coming,” she said, “but I cannot tell if it is for good or ill.”

I stepped away from the eggs, and moved toward the door to my chambers, but she laid her hand on my arm.

“Wait, Mistress. Perhaps we should check.”

I was about to agree, when the unease grew to a fine fit of fear.

“Bar the door, first,” I said, and she hurried to obey.

“And that one, too,” I said, as terror danced along my arms and played its merry way along my spine.

Perhaps it should have worried me that Chushka did not argue, and that she was already heading for the second door before I could ask her to.

Mack ‘n’ Me: The Wolves of Alpha 9

 
“You want to go where?” Tens was not impressed. “With all due respect, Captain, are you out of your tiny little mind?”

I watched as Mack rolled an eye in Tens’s direction, and was glad it was Tens who’d asked, and not me. I wouldn’t have been anywhere near as polite.

And I wouldn’t have gotten away with it.

But if Tens was leading…

“Don’t go there, Cutter.”

Well, damn. Man was still reading me like a book.

----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Would you like to read more? 

The first book in the Lords of Tallameera series, The Priestess, the Prince & the Dragon is currently available on most platforms, while the first three books and the short story in the Mack ‘n’ Me ‘n’ Odyssey series: Mack ‘n’ Me: Origins, The Depredides Dance, Mack ‘n’ Me: Blaedergil’s Host, and Mack ‘n’ Me: Arach are also available. The fourth book, Mack ‘n’ Me: The Transporter’s Favour will release shortly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go