An Extract from this Month's Release: Forever Lucky (Another 365 Days of Poetry)

To celebrate this month's release of Another 365 Days of Poetry which released on the 4th. Links to the collection can be found at: https://books2read.com/u/bo2Y0a

 

Forever Lucky


I sat upon the stairs and wept

tears for all that’s been won and lost.

I sat upon the stairs and cried

hard tears for those who’d lost the most,

for I did not live within the flames

of blood and fire and war.

I did not live within the games

played by nations upon that shore.

I lived safely, far from the blood and fire,

the bombardment. and the barking guns.

I lived safely, here, at home,

where peace has ne’er been lost nor won,

despite our nation’s heritage

of doing well in the realms of war,

for wars of magnitude have not been fought,

save for settling skirmishes long before

I was ever thought of,

or a twinkle in my daddy’s eye,

those wars of pre-birth this country’s known,

but not the wars where millions die,

and I count myself lucky, even as I sit and weep.

I count myself more than lucky

that I have a safer space to sleep

than the millions who live overseas

in countries being boned by war.

And I will count myself forever lucky,

if such devastation keeps its distance,

for all my life and more.

 

 


Cover art is by Jake at JCaleb Design, and links to 366 Days of Poetry can be found on Books2Read at: https://books2read.com/u/bo2Y0a.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Australian Insects: An Unknown Caterpillar eating Grevillea flower buds

PokemonGo Tips - Earning the Berry Master Medal

The Great Publishing Challenge: 6 Down, 6 to Go